Advanced Features and Benefits
- Top-of-the-line system designed for ultimate performance
- Ultimate phase noise and frequency stability
- Easily transportable (mechanical transport lock)
- Highly customizable—available over wide range of wavelengths and with many options
- Robust and well-engineered single 19” rack system including monitor & control system and vibration isolation platform.
- Automated laser locking—24/7 operation
|Wavelength||500–1600 nm (IBS coatings), 900–1600 nm (crystalline coatings)|
|Stability (MADEV at 1 s, linear drift removed)||<7 x 10-16 (with FS-XTAL option)
<1 x 10-15 (with FS-IBS option)
<2 x 10-15 (standard system)
|Phase Noise (laser source dependent)||-44 dBc/Hz (at 10 Hz offset)
-91 dBc/Hz (at 10 kHz offset)
|Output Power||>10 mW (FC/APC connector), high power on request|
|Cavity Spacer||12.1 cm, ULE, cylindric design|
|Free Spectral Range||1.24 GHz|
|Linear Drift Rate||approx. 150 mHz/s|
|Vibration Isolation Platform||included|
The Optical Reference System (ORS) is designed for uncompromised performance. It delivers ultra-narrow linewidth laser light with outstanding frequency stability.
The system’s centerpiece is a high-finesse Fabry-Pérot cavity (cylindric spacer with a length of 12.1 cm) serving as a reference for a CW laser. The cavity is made out of ultra-low expansion glass (ULE) and is operated in vacuum at the point of zero thermal expansion. The reference cavity is actively decoupled from vibrations and acoustically isolated allowing for ultimate performance also in rough laboratory environments. An easy-to-use cavity-locking mechanism ensures portability without realignment of the optical paths.
The system is operated by the newest generation of Menlo Systems’ proprietary SYNCRO controller—a modular electronics platform designed for versatility and intuitive use. It incorporates all required electronics, e.g., a low-noise laser driver and a very fast (analog) servo loop for laser frequency stabilization. The user controls all parameters using either the 7” front-panel touchscreen or a GUI on a remote PC. The onboard software ensures automatic cavity locking and system monitoring.
Watch a system demonstration of the ORS system here:
STABILITY AND PHASE NOISE
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION: Compact low-noise photonic microwave generation from commercial low-noise lasers
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION: Comparison of optical frequency comb and sapphire loaded cavity microwave oscillators
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION: Multi-arm Ultra-low Noise Er:fiber Frequency Comb Comparison
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION: Photonic microwave signals with zeptosecond-level absolute timing noise
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION: Two-way coherent frequency transfer in a commercial DWDM communication network in Sweden